Executive Director(General Electric)
GE is the world’s Digital Industrial Company, transforming industry with software-defined machines and solutions that are connected, responsive and predictive. Through our people, leadership development, services, technology and scale, GE delivers better outcomes for global customers by speaking the language of industry
Your responsibilities will include:
- Lead GE government affairs regional and business initiatives by planning and developing key strategies, implementing actions vis-à-vis federal institutions and regulatory agencies in a wide range of areas including international trade, finance/capital, energy, healthcare, environmental regulations, and intellectual property.
- Guide GE’s economic policy formulation and stakeholder engagements in the sub-region.
- Coordinate with GE leadership globally, GE businesses and GE regional executives on the development of positions on various issues and implementation of government affairs/policy projects.
- Work with members of the GE Africa team to ensure awareness of key issues and GE positions on those issues, and use their contacts with governments to maximum effect.
- Manage day to day operational requirements in order to ensure legal compliance and best practice in line with GE policy and strategies.
- Provide functional, technical and managerial support for major activities and projects. Build GE brand and understanding of GE capabilities and domain expertise with senior policy makers and influencers.Provide expert advice on the workings of the government institutions and decision-making procedures.
- Support sales to governments by helping sales teams tailor GE bids to government needs, marshaling government support and advocacy for GE’s bids, and utilizing governmental financing Growth Playbook.
- Identify and quantify top governmental issues for GE and achieve results on those issues and opportunities Identify at an early stage emerging regulations and legislation that will affect GE, and ensure business awareness of the potential risks and benefits. Ensure GE’s point of view is taken into account as governments and international organizations consider energy policies, laws, and regulations.
- Accountable for identifying legislative and business risks and implement interventions to deal and minimize impact on Business.
- Accountable for directing internal and external Stakeholder Engagement & Partnerships related to government affairs and policy matters which impact on the business
The ideal candidate for this role will have:
- Graduate degree in economics, or international public policy, international law or combination thereof.Experience:
- Minimum 15 years of professional experience in working on policy issues, with significant similar experience with a global corporation or with an international law or consultancy firm
- Experience and understanding of African economic development significant experience in working with senior government officials, especially in the areas of economic planning, finance, and trade. Previous experience in Government, IFI, or regional organization would be viewed as a significant advantage. Strong relationships with government officials and influencers.
- Deep knowledge of government institutions, regulation, policies and priorities. Previous experience in the area of funding programs would be a significant advantage.
- High level of understanding of regional government decision-making process and procedures.Fluency in English, and second language ability in French desirable Ability to cope with pressure and multiple deadlines contemporaneously.
- A professional, who is able to set priorities and milestones with stakeholders and prioritize multiple tasks on hand while still paying attention to the details High level of influencing skills combined with an ability to build excellent working relationships within a matrix environment (both cross-functionally and globally) Advanced communication skills
- Both written and verbal Demonstrated ability to think and lead on a strategic level within a complex organization Ability to deal effectively with people and work in diverse teams Ability to anticipate trends and manage risk Ability to motivate and inspire others Ability to identify and have access to key government and policy decision makers Commitment to conducting GE's business affairs with the highest integrity, including strict adherence to applicable laws but also in a manner consistent with GE's values, which often go beyond mere legal compliance Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of various business issues Proven creator and participant in informal issue and project teams Goal orientation and a high degree of personal initiativeamsGoal orientation and a high degree of personal initiative Experience developing and executing an Advocacy strategy.