Senior Legal Counsel (African Development Bank Group (AfDB))
The Senior Legal Counsel and Assistant to the General Counsel provides general legal support to the General Counsel and the Lead Counsel and Advisor to the General Counsel on legal issues pertinent to the operations and governance of the various entities of the Bank Group.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Under the direct supervision of the General Counsel, the incumbent will perform the following, in connection with all the General Counsel and Legal Services Department activities:
- Assist the General Counsel in monitoring the execution of the work programme of the General Counsel and Legal Services Department and ensure that assignments are completed within the prescribed deadlines;
- Conduct legal research, write legal opinions and memoranda on all matters relevant to the work of the Department and the High 5 priorities;
- Coordinate with Legal Counsel in the Department to ensure that all briefs and other documents for the attention of the General Counsel are efficiently and timely drafted and/or compiled before Boards meetings the meetings of the various decision-making organs of the Bank Group, including the Boards of Governors, the Boards of Directors, Senior Management and their various Committees;
- Review appraisal reports to be presented to the Boards of Directors, and ensure in particular that the disbursement conditions, the financial terms and other salient terms are consistent with the policies and rules of the Bank;
- Assist the General Counsel in handling institutional matters by preparing and/or compiling, and analyzing relevant information documents, for example, Senior Management Coordinating Committee Secretariat documents involving institutional matters;
- Organize the safe keeping of all Legal Opinions issued by the General Counsel and ensure that Legal Opinions are available in English and French, as required;
- Prepare presentations and briefs for the General Counsel in the context of the participation of the General Counsel at conferences, seminars and other international fora organized for instance by other multilateral development banks or international lawyers associations; and
- Undertake such other assignments as required in furtherance of the Department’s mandate.
The ideal candidate for this role will include:
- Hold at least a Master's Degree in Law, and admission to the Bar of one of the African Development Bank member countries; or a Juris Doctor (JD) and with admission to the Bar of one of the African Development Bank member countries;
- Have a minimum of five (5) years of relevant professional experience, preferably with an established law firm or an international financial institution, with proven administrative skills and experience in major international financial transactions;
- Proven competence in Litigation and /or International Finance, Corporate Law, Development as well as Private and Public International Law with some knowledge of the operations of large international law firms or an international organization operating in a multi-jurisdictional environment;
- Solid experience in applying knowledge of legal analysis and principles to deliver full scope of strategic legal advisory services in line with the Bank’s strategy, needs/situation;
- Having private sector experience will be an added advantage;
- Effective consultation and advisory skills that enable clients and help them build their confidence and skills to deal with complex and multi-jurisdictional legal issues;
- Ability to work independently with limited supervision as well as part of a multicultural team;
- Ability to drive change and to be flexible, open minded with integrity;
- Demonstrated communication, team building, inter-personal, writing and analytical skills;
- Ability to communicate effectively (written and oral) in English or French, with a working knowledge of the other language;
- Competence in the use of standard Microsoft software (Word, Excel, Access, and PowerPoint).