Principal Social Protection Officer (African Development Bank Group (AfDB))
The Principal social protection officer will be responsible to provide substantive technical and operational knowledge and support to the Regional delivery office (southern Africa) management and staff as well as Regional Member Countries in Southern Africa to implement effective social protection/youth employment policies and programmes/projects for poverty and inequality reduction.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Under the supervision of the Manager, Job for youth and Social Protection Division of Regional business delivery office (southern Africa), the Principal social protection Officer shall:
- Lead and contribute in developing new projects and programs as well as manage existing projects in the area of social protection and youth employment;
- Contribute to the enhancement of the Bank’s sectoral policies and strategies in key Social Development domains such as Social Protection and Youth Employment;
- Prepare studies and analysis within the framework of approved economic and sectoral programmes to identify suitable projects, policies , priorities and institutional issues especially in relation to Social protection, youth employment and gender equality;
- Engage in policy dialogue and provide advisory services to Regional Member Countries on identified social protection issues;
- Contribute Country Strategic Papers and, Regional Integration Strategic Papers by providing socio-economic analysis to recommendations to strengthen Bank responses to social protection and other key social issues in the region or country.
- Provide technical guidance and advise to support Bank teams in Regional hubs on policy dialogue and social protection programmes.
- Develop partnerships with the private sector, multilateral and bilateral Agencies on issues relevant to the Directorate’s mandate.
- Design and lead regional of sub regional events to strengthen visibility, capacity and support for social protection in Regional Member Countries
- Perform any other related duties required by the Director and/or Division Manager.
The ideal candidate for this role will include:
- Hold at least a Master's Degree or its equivalent in Business Development, Social Economics, Economics, Sociology, Law, Labour Economics, or any related field.
- Have a minimum of six (6) years of professional experience in social protection and/ or youth employment programs.
- Experience in handling operations in the sector in national and international organisations is a requirement;
- Experience in providing support to peers in social protection and youth employment analysis and innovative and new strategic thinking, innovative design of programmes and projects;
- Demonstrated experience in engaging with senior government officials, private sector, development partners and other stakeholders;
- Experience in resource mobilization is an advantage;
- Having private sector experience will be an added advantage;
- Demonstrable knowledge of Social Protection, Youth employment and other key social development issues as they relate to High Five 5: ‘Improving the living conditions of people in Africa’;
- Advisory and policy advocacy expertise;
- Effective communicator with excellent written and verbal communications skills;
- Ability to deal with sensitive issues in a multi-cultural environment and to build effective working relations with colleagues;
- Ability to work independently with little or no supervision;
- Good networking and relationship management skills;
- Communicate and write effectively in French or English, with a good working knowledge of the other language;
- Knowledge of Portuguese language is an added advantage;
- Competence in the use of standard Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint); knowledge of SAP is desirable.