Senior Account Assistant (African Development Bank (AfDB))
Under the supervision of the Division Manager, the Senior Accounts Assistant- Grant, prepare and verify various payments and journal vouchers, ensuring observance of policies and procedures. The incumbent also ensure that all Grants’ payments are correctly made and recorded in the appropriate General Ledger accounts.
Your responsibilities will include:
- The Senior Accounts Assistant- Grant will undertake the following functions:
- Manage the processing of payments to consultants and suppliers under the capital and administrative budget of the Bank and from bilateral sources/Trust Funds; Processing and accounting of advances - review authorizations, documentation, and Vendor accounts and inter-company reconciliations.
- Review project agreement to ascertain all compliance requirements.
- Analyse and determine the appropriateness of Grantee’s requests for disbursements and the supporting documentation. Determine whether they should be approved, reduced or rejected in accordance with Bank’s policies and procedures. This requires the identification of irregularities and non-compliance with Bank procedures and policies, as well as highlighting circumstances for further investigation where the Bank may be exposed to financial risk.
- Review and recommend changes to the Trust Fund Management System, policies and procedures to promote timeliness, accuracy and efficiency in processing while maintaining appropriate internal controls.
- Draft clear and concise correspondence to Task managers and/or operational staff on disbursement- related issues;
- Facilitate fund transfers to sub-grantees in accordance with the work plan and budget allocation.
- Ensure that trust fund and grant agreements, correspondence and other related transactions are maintained in the appropriate file.
- Respond to questions from Task Team Leaders, mid suppliers on payments, balances, and application status.
- Cooperate with concerned departments and stakeholders to resolve disbursement issues promptly.
- Monitor grantee’s utilization of special account funds, ensuring that the funds are properly accounted for and used in accordance with Bank procedures.
- Contribute to improving the efficiency of grant and TF disbursement operations by ensuring that records and reports are properly maintained and updated at all times.
- Prepare and dispatch month end disbursement reports to Task manager/cost center manager or/to FIRM department for information and to enable them update their records accordingly.
- Participate in reviewing the grant agreement to ensure that disbursement arrangements are compliant with Bank Group disbursement policies.
- Participate in departmental/divisional task forces.
- Identify issues relating to disbursement policies, procedures and guidelines and recommend actions or enhancements.
- Follow up the advances made from the trust fund and process justifications timely.
- Provide support and facilitate all internal and external audits related with the project funds.
- Review, research, verification and timely reconciliation of a variety of financial data and reports ensuring accuracy and conformance with rules and regulations; analysis of results and initiation of corrective actions where necessary.
- Any other ad hoc assignment as may be required.
The ideal candidate for this role will include:
- Hold at least a Bachelor degree or its equivalent in Accounting, Finance or Audit. A Master’s degree in finance, Audit or accounting will be an added advantage.
- Have a minimum of six (6) years’ experience in accounting. Experience in Audit or accounting firm is an advantage.
- Six (6) years’ experience in accounts payable is added advantage.
- Private sector experience is an added advantage.
- Analytical skills and ability to work with detail and convey accurate information.
- Accounting skills.
- Strong communication skills and a commitment to search for and produce innovative and creative new approaches to activities.
- Up-to-date knowledge and detailed understanding of current changes and required skills.
- Ability to apply business knowledge to the resolution of problems and identifies solutions to the benefit of the client (internal and external) and the organization.
- Strong client orientation and ability to work in a team and develop strong relations.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills in English or French. Preferably with working knowledge of the second language.
- Excellent computer skills including proficiency in SAP (SAP travel, MM, TFMS, and FI), Word, Excel and Access.