Principal Health Analyst (African Development Bank (AfDB))
Your responsibilities will include:
- Under the supervision of the Regional Operations Manager, Agriculture, Human and Social Development Division of RDGS (regional Direction General-South), the Principal Health Analyst shall:
- Initiate and conduct missions to identify, prepare, appraise and launch health projects/programs for Bank-financing and provide recommendations regarding the amounts, terms and conditions of the loan;
- Conduct technical supervision of on-going health projects/programs by:
- Monitoring procurement of goods and services and advising executing agencies on related Bank procedures;
- Reviewing design and tender documents;
- Supervising the work of consultants and contractors;
- Providing assistance to the loan administration department on disbursement related issues;
- Ensuring that beneficiary countries submit quarterly project progress reports and audit reports regularly;
- Preparing project completion reports and drawing lessons for future bank group interventions;
- Preparing and monitoring portfolio performance reports for the health sector.
- Formulate and propose the Bank's Country Assistance Strategy for the health sector by:
- Analysing health sector policies and strategies of member countries;
- Recommending health sector studies/projects/programs to be included in the lending program for each country;
- Preparing terms of reference for health studies/reports and assist executing agencies in recruiting consultants. reviewing and approving reports;
- Initiating and maintaining dialogue with beneficiary countries and other agencies involved in the health sector.
- Coordinate loan administration activities related to health projects/programs by :
- Organizing loan negotiations and signing of loan agreements, and
- Ensuring that loan conditions are fully complied with.
- Identify and coordinate the needs for co-financing health projects/programs and initiate proposals for funding by:
- Operationalizing an integrated approach to sector investment;
- Identifying opportunities to engage the private sector and propose innovative public-private partnerships
- Monitoring and reviewing health sector aid programs of other donor agencies in each specific regional member country and determining financing gaps; and,
- Representing the Bank/Department at national and international health related meetings.
- Perform other related administrative or technical duties by:
- Drafting responses for management's signature on health related issues; and
- Attending working groups, senior management committee, loan negotiations and board meetings; and
- Liaise with other multilateral and bilateral institutions (such as: EU, WORLD BANK, WHO, UN and regional institutions -AU, ECA) in the context of the Bank's operations.
- Represent the Bank at seminars and conferences concerning health sector activities.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the supervisor.
The ideal candidate for this role will have:
- Hold at least a Master’s Degree or its equivalent in Public Health Management, Health Sciences, Health Care Administration, or other relevant discipline
- Have a minimum of six (6) years relevant experience in policy and strategy development and conducting analysis of health systems and programs particularly in Africa. Strong analytical and quantitative skills as demonstrated by the production and or contribution to analytical reports/publications; At least 5 years of relevant work on the African Continent is an added advantage;
- Outstanding organizational and problem-solving aptitude;
- Private sector experience, in leveraging the private sector, designing and developing private sector operations and public-private partnership in health will be an advantage;
- Having private sector experience will be an added advantage;
- Ability to develop program enhancement recommendations based on surveys and cost analysis;
- Ability to elaborate/use quantitative methods to develop data collections tools and review, evaluate, survey, and improve local, regional or international health program operations;
- Ability to transform intellectual assets/information into capability for effective action;
- Ability to build commitment and give effect to strategy objectives throughout health projects required;
- Ability to work effectively in the different context of the Bank stakeholders (including government, public sector, multilateral institutions);
- Ability to build logical analysis and evaluation skills to provide sound advices;
- Ability to delivery messages accurately and appropriately to various audiences;
- Communicate and write effectively in French or English, with a good working knowledge of the other language;
- Competence in the use of standard Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint); knowledge of SAP is desirable.