Construction Engineer (COOPI - Cooperazione Internazionale)
Improvement of access to education for most vulnerable IDPs, host communities, and returnees in Bolori II, Maiduguri Metropolitan Council MMC, Borno State.
The Construction Engineer will be responsible to provide technical knowledge, skills and quality in infrastructure and following up with construction process.
He/She will be involved in the definition and agreement of the quantities of materials and work for each stage with the selected contractor, the overall schedule for the construction, stages of work and will authorize each respective stage payment upon achievement of the stage achievements in accordance with the required and agreed progress and standards to the beneficiary.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Under the direct supervision of the Country Logistics and Security Coordinator, he/she:
- Provide first technical assessment in the schools indicated by the MoE and definition of priorities
- Liaise with SUBEB, RUWASA and NEMA departments in order to comply with ministerial standards for the rehabilitation works in public schools
- Preparation of the detailed BoQs for rehabilitation according to the available budget and the priorities identified
- Preparation of the tender procedure according to the donor and COOPI rules
- Participation to the contractors’ selection committee, technical evaluation of the offers received.
- Preparation of the contracts, definition of the monitoring tools
- Regular follow up of the works with visits to the construction sites and ad hoc meeting with the constructors
- Management of the relations with SUBEB, RUWASA and NEMA departments, submission of BoQs amendment requests
- Preparation of the BoQs follow up; quantity and quality control of the material used and work progress
- Approval of instalment payments to the contractors
- Management of the relation with school principles for coordination of the rehabilitation works
- Coordination with local authorities (municipalities and local ministry offices) for release of needed permits, facilitation in set up of the working site, administrative procedures etc.
- Final quality and quantity control and preparation of hand over certificated
The ideal candidate for this role will have:
- Master Degree in Architecture, Civil engineering, infrastructure engineering or related fields
- Experience in construction at least 5 years
- 3 years’ experience in NGO work
- Proven Construction experiences and logistics skills
- Renovation and rehabilitation experience is preferable
- Excellent English Communication skills (oral and written)
- Commitment to COOPI ethic code
- Cross cultural sensitivity, flexible world view, emotional maturity and physical stamina
- Knowledge of and adherence to NGO Code of Conduct, understands other international development guidelines.