Senior Content Publishing Manager (Microsoft)
The Content Publishing Manager is a key member of the Global Operations team, one of Microsoft’s most dynamic international business groups. As the leader in and face to market and a member of the local Microsoft subsidiary, you are responsible for the overall availability and quality of all forms of content (eg. text, audio, images, video, data) for Windows applications (News, Sports, Finance, Weather, etc) on multiplatform devices (PC, tablet, phone) and on the web.
Our products are created to acquire and engage with users and have them loving their content experiences on Windows. We are partnering with the best Media companies around the world. We have the best engineers to develop these unique products and experiences.
You are responsible for the products, user experience and quality of what we deliver to South African users. You are the primary connection with content and data partners from the on and offline media in South Africa. You lead business development on content partnerships and represent MSN at a national level within the industry.
You own the budget (people and content). You support the monetization and business goals of the South African Advertising & Online (“A&O”) team. You partner with the A&O team and you are a key contributor to their success.
You are in charge of developing and executing a content plan in synch with the overall business plan, as defined by the Global Operations leadership team. You lead the local acquisition of content and data aligned to the overall division’s goals. You leverage content from global deals to enrich the South African user experience. As new platforms and content emerge, you work with key internal and external stakeholders to identify opportunities to use those platforms for distribution of content and make recommendations for wider action. You are an ambassador of change throughout the organization, identifying key change initiatives to streamline content development, publishing and business operations.
Your primary goal is to grow audiences and user engagement, including increasing new and returning users, editorial click through, volume of sessions and duration by user. You focus on web page views, video views, share of online minutes and page views per unique users. You boost our apps to become “best in class” from a content experience perspective and our web service to be in the South Africa top 3 ranking by user reach. You manage a local editorial team, interact regularly with multiple teams across the region and various Microsoft business groups within the outside of the local market.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Deliver “best in class” high-quality content experiences on Windows devices and on the web to South African users.
- Manage the MSN South Africa Editorial team.
- Build audience and engagement and support monetization of product inventory.
- Lead editorial partnerships, negotiate and deal with top level Media groups
- Work closely with the engineering team, including the local Program Manager.
- Leverage the Microsoft online products (eg. Outlook, Skype) to maximize audience.
- Connect with the Microsoft subsidiary and support activity to grow Windows apps.
- Establish and achieve audience and quality metrics and performance goals.
- Guide and support Advertising & Online team monetization of MSN products.
- Provide market expertise in consumers’ adoption and usage (content, technology)..
- Own budget and content agreements for MSN products.
- Support global management in business operations, analytics and management reporting.
The ideal candidate for this role will have:
- Strategic visionary and seasoned media leader with management roles in content publishing.
- Proven track record of building successful publishing properties across media and platforms.
- Passion for online media and demonstrable understanding of audience trends and competitors.
- Clear understanding of how to attract, engage, maintain & monetize audiences.
- Substantial business development, contracts and content acquisition experience.
- Demonstrated ability to lead direct and virtual teams, locally and internationally.
- Experience in working in matrix organizations and with remote team members.
- Experience with marketing / affiliate programs would be a strong positive.
- Demonstrable skills in media business leadership.
- Skilled in editorial operational roles.
- Experience of publishing systems and CMS.
- Skilled in MSFT consumer software, especially Excel.
- Strong analytics skills in multiple tools (eg. Chartbeat, Omniture).
- Strong project management skills.
- Strong interpersonal, communication and presentational experience.
- Excellent command of both English and local languages.
- Outstanding presentation and communication skills.
- Deep knowledge of the South Africa media and culture.
- Passion for consumers, technology and premium quality products.
- Highly effective influencer at senior level.
- Mature and co-operative style with partner organizations and teams.
- Strategic and creative thinker, uniting “big picture” ideas with practical execution.
- Commitment to delivering results.
- Excellent diplomatic and relationship management skills.
- Flexible and positive in responding to fast-moving environments.
- Energetic, enthusiastic, charismatic and inspirational.
- Asks for and listens to feedback and suggestions, a continuous improvement mentality.
Microsoft IT is for those IT professionals and business technology professionals who want to be strategic partners to the business and be the first place to create innovative solutions using all of Microsoft's products and services. Microsoft IT provides career growth opportunities, a rewarding and flexible work environment so you can better integrate professional and personal life. Unlike other IT organizations, Microsoft IT employees make global impact on thousands of customers and thousands of employees who use Microsoft software and services.