Division Manager Cities & Urban Development (African Development Bank (AfDB))
To act as the Bank's principal expert on Cities & Urban Development.
To strengthen and maintain the Bank's understanding of the Cities and Urban Development sector and its role in the development of the continent.
To advise on future investments in the sector by the Bank and its regional member countries
Your responsibilities will include:
- Cities & Urban Development Strategy:
- Devise, maintain and revise the Cities & Urban Development Strategy of the Bank in consultation with internal stakeholders and taking account of long-term trends in Cities & Urban Development and the development of the continent.
- Ensure the appropriate implementation of the strategy through communication and advise to all relevant stakeholders in the Bank, particularly operations functions, and define a monitoring framework.
- Identify and develop any necessary policies to underpin the strategy.
- Consult as necessary with external partners and Regional and non-Regional Member Countries on the form and efficacy of the strategy.
- Manage a team to develop and maintain the Bank's expertise on Cities & Urban Development to support the development goals of the Bank and the continent.
- Devise the Bank's contribution to key Cities & Urban Development themes such as inclusive Cities & Urban Development.
- Coordinate and Lead work alongside key partners, such as other Multilateral Development Banks and the World Economic Forum to design Cities & Urban Development -based programs and solutions for the economic and social infrastructure development of Africa.
- Publish major studies and reports on Cities& Urban Development, taking into account the comparative advantage that the Bank can bring to bear to any specific subject or theme. Convene associated workshops and media events to solidify the learning across Africa.
- Organize workshops and associated media events to consolidate lessons learnt across Africa.
- Develop and maintain, in collaboration with partners, a detailed database of statistics and economic models relating to Cities & Urban Development, both African and global in nature, to support proper analysis of the impact of the sector for development and the relative state of Cities & Urban Development in Africa.
- Act as a focal point for advice to Regional Member Countries on Cities & Urban Development issues.
- Represent the Bank at global, regional and national conferences and workshops on Cities & Urban Development.
- Provide cutting edge advice on Cities & Urban Development infrastructure investments to foster public and private partnerships and the use of all the Bank's financing instruments.
- Provide direct support to Cities & Urban Development operations staff in the field, particularly in order to improve the impact and the financial and economic analysis of projects.
- Advice operational staff on Cities& Urban Development trends and the consequences they have for future project development and design.
- Identify appropriate Cities& Urban Development training for internal and external stakeholders.
- Manage a small, specialist team of Transport & Logistics experts to meet demanding Key Performance Indicators.
- Develop and safeguard the Bank's brand as a source of Transport & Logistics knowledge for Africa by detailing the quality of output expected from the division and ensuring that it is attained.
- Manage the administrative budget for the division.
- Mobilize resources from donors to support the work of the division.
The ideal candidate for this role will have:
- At least a Master's Degree or equivalent in Civil Engineering, Urban Development, Urban Mass Transport, Architecture, Engineering, Transport Planning, Urban Planning, or related discipline.
- A minimum of eight (08) years of experience at increasingly senior levels in infrastructure development, transport, water, energy, Information and Communications Technology, Housing sector, Multi-lateral Financial Institutions, with proven experience in developing countries.
- Highly developed technical and strategic knowledge of Urban Planning, Policy & Strategy, Urban Infrastructure Services Municipal Finance Development, Municipal Institutional Reforms and Governance.
- Good knowledge of financing instruments and options.
- An ability to make sense of complexity and to express this simply both in writing and orally.
- Effective consultation and advisory skills coupled with a client orientation to ensure relevancy
- Ability to lead a team of specialists and to take forward projects, often in collaboration with other partners.
- Attention to detail to create quality output and to set standards for the team.
- Mentoring to develop skills within the team and to improve the quality of output and outcomes.
- Budget management.
- Objective setting and staff evaluation.
- Communicate and write effectively in French or English, with a good working knowledge of the other language;
- Competence in the use of standard Microsoft Office Suite applications and preferably, SAP.